The RYC Summer Race Program is a Rochester Junior Yacht Club sponsored program. This “advanced” racing program will be held from June-August and will include practice sessions, clinics and regattas primarily utilizing Lasers and 420’s.
- Provide structure to encourage improved racing skills
- Represent Rochester Yacht Club at sailing events throughout the summer
- Learn to work as a team
- The main focus for the summer race team will be in Lasers, and 420’s.
- Practices: weekdays at 12:30 starting June 25th running till August 17th.
- Curriculum will include teamwork, racing drills, sportsmanship, skipper/crew relationship, team racing, rules, protests, and race strategy/tactics
- 420 skills will be taught in RYC 420’s
- Laser and 420 sailors will practice together at scheduled times
Coaches: Andrew Zuber with assistance from Jenny Norton
- New members to the team will be required to take at least one session of 420/Laser LTR (learn to race) the rest of the season is covered by RJYC membership. LTR is a 2 week session 9:00-4:00 where you will have the opportunity to work on your boat handling skills in the mornings and racing skills in the afternoon.
- RYC member pay only one charge of $395 for the summer.
- The RYC non-member only one charge $595 per person for the summer.
- Entry fees and costs to travel to regattas are not included.
- Team Members will be required to help coach in the mornings at least 50% of the days attended
Requirements and Benefits:
- Age 13-18.
- Application for participation must be approved by Jon Faudree
- Team members must be Rochester Junior Yacht Club and US SAILING members
*RJYC membership is $20 for RYC members and $40 for non-members
*US SAILING youth membership: $25/year, sign up at www.ussailing.org
- Team members are expected to attend RJYC meetings and contribute a minimum of 10 hours to the volunteer and fundraising activities of RJYC.
- Boat storage will be at no charge for the duration of the program for privately owned 420’s and Lasers.
- Participants must abide by all the rules of RJYC, Rochester Yacht Club and any rules of the program.
- RYC 420’s will be used for all “home” practices and may be borrowed for the RYC Junior Olympics.
- Laser sailors must provide their own boats (Standard, Radial or 4.7 rigs)
- 420 sailors are encouraged to own their own boat. Owning a boat facilitates travel to “away” events and teaches responsibility of boat ownership.
Travel to away events
- RYC trailers are available
- Parent volunteers will coordinate specific “away” events including trailering, housing, entry to events. Costs will be divided amongst those attending “away” events.
- The Erica Schwenk 420 will be available by application for “away” events. There may be additional 420’s available for borrowing or chartering.
Representing RYC at Inter-clubs and US SAILING regional events
- RJYC members are eligible to represent RYC at US SAILING and Interclub events
- Team members will be encouraged to participate in scheduled Inter-clubs at nearby clubs
- RJYC will send teams to the Bemis (double-handed, 420’s) and Smythe (single-handed, Laser) Area events- the dates of events and qualification for entry TBA.